Racial Equity and Justice Specialist
YWCA Missoula & EmpowerMT
JOB SUMMARY: The Racial Equity and Justice Specialist is a full-time position shared between EmpowerMT and the YWCA Missoula. This position provides expertise and support for each organization’s internal and external racial equity and justice programs and initiatives.
The Racial Justice Engagement Specialist will work both independently and collaboratively within both organizations to advance racial justice and anti-racism work in the community by expanding their knowledge bases, ensuring that racial justice is a primary lens informing both organizations’ work, and infusing racial justice in their partnerships and programs. The Racial Equity and Justice Specialist will lead projects, implement internal & external initiatives, and grow each organization’s capacity to do action-based work that eliminates racism and creates a just and inclusive society.
The Racial Equity and Justice Specialist will share their time between EmpowerMT and YWCA Missoula.
● Hours: 40 hours/week non-exempt
● Wage: $50,000/yr plus benefits: Generous paid vacation and holidays, paid family medical leave time, 100% health, dental & vision insurance, additional wellness benefits, optional IRA Match, and flexible schedule.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Co-facilitate the Missoula MLK Day Planning Committee
- Co-design curriculum with social justice and racial equity content and frameworks
- Co-facilitate professional development for schools, organizations/businesses, and communities
- Support facilitation & coordination of ABY (Association of BIPOC Youth)
- Attend EmpowerMT Advancing Leadership Institute
- Facilitate the Racial Justice Committee and Racial Justice Advisory Council
- Organize Stand Against Racism community event every April
- Manage the racial justice-focused orientation/continued learning platform for new YWCA staff
- Coordinate and facilitate YWCA Staff/Board of Directors/Volunteers BIPOC Affinity Group
- Strengthen connection and participation with YWCA USA racial justice efforts
- Complete YWCA advocate training and GUTS! facilitator training
EmpowerMT and YWCA Collaborative Responsibilities:
Staff and Organizational Development
- Assist staff in ensuring racial equity is at the foundation of new and existing programs and policies by providing research, data, recommendations, and support
- Research and support implementation of organizational best practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Identify personal and professional development opportunities for the organization’s board, staff, and volunteers to advance racial equity and justice knowledge base
- Develop social media and website content for racial justice issues and programs
- Provide programmatic documentation for reports, grants, and printed materials
- Assist with program evaluation
Community, Partnerships, and Outreach
- Develop and maintain key partnerships with BIPOC led organizations and groups (MT Black Collective-Missoula, All Nations, Western Native Voices, UM BSU, MT Racial Equity Project) and other groups committed to racial justice
- Build meaningful relationships with colleagues, clients, partners, and community members
- Provide leadership on community coalitions and committees in order to promote best practices and advance community and organizational goals
- Organize and co-facilitate BIPOC True Colors Community Affinity Group
- Attend at least one national, regional, or state conference per year
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, & EXPECTATIONS
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, human services, criminal justice, or a related field; or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated deep commitment to racial equity and justice, and familiarity with racial equity and justice principles
- Significant experience facilitating equity-centered conversations and designing inclusive learning environments for individuals and large and small groups
- Deep working knowledge of systemic inequity and successful social change practices
- Experience working alongside young people
- A deep commitment to providing professional and timely client service to both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written communication skills
- Extremely strong verbal and non-verbal skills, both with large groups and interpersonally
- Strong and efficient workload management skills to include planning, organizing, prioritizing, and following through on a variety of tasks
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain professional composure while working under stress and pressure
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and commit to established code of conduct and conflict of interest policies
- Ability to effectively work and collaborate within two similar yet distinct team-centric environments and work independently
- Availability to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Willingness to travel in and out of state
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
It is the mission of both EmpowerMT and the YWCA Missoula to address and correct systemic inequities. We recognize that people drive our mission, and honor and value the diversity of identities and experiences that they bring which shapes us. Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. EmpowerMT and the YWCA Missoula are equal-opportunity employers and are in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
email Facebook Linkedin
email Facebook Linkedin
“When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So...
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the...
” How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”- Anne Frank “Empowerer” Spotlight: Abby Donald! This...
“I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap.” -Ani DiFranco “Empowerer” Spotlight: Carla Mettling! ...
“As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” –Mary Anne Radmacher “Empowerer” Spotlight! This month our spotlight shines...
“It means a great deal to those who are oppressed to know that they are not alone. Never let anyone tell you that what...
“As we strive to teach others we must have the humility to acknowledge that we too still have much to learn.” -Aung San Suu...
“The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” -Sydney J. Harris As we gear up for the changing of seasons, EmpowerMT...