Director of Youth Programs
JOB SUMMARY: EmpowerMT is in an exciting time of transition and growth and we seek an energetic and visionary leader with an equity and racial justice lens to lead EmpowerMT’s youth and schools programming. Duties include program development, curriculum design, program oversight, direct supervision responsibilities, and building partnerships with youth, schools, and communities. The successful candidate has extensive knowledge of healing-centered youth organizing and youth-led change program models. This position oversees the coordination of all EmpowerMT youth and school programming aimed at reducing prejudice, preventing violence, resolving conflict and developing the leadership of youth and adult allies to youth through Social-Emotional Learning, psychoeducation, and EmpowerMT’s theory of change. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Hours and Compensation:
Hours: 40 hours/week non-exempt
Compensation: $54,080/year plus benefits: Generous paid annual leave and holidays, paid family medical leave time, 100% health, dental & vision insurance, wellness benefits, optional IRA Match, and flexible schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performance of duties reflects the EmpowerMT value that all human beings will be treated with respect and dignity, and approached with recognition of their individual importance. The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
CURRENT COORDINATION: EmpowerMT’s K-12 Youth Leadership Pathway and Missoula school-based training; school-based after-school program Empowering People, Inspiring Change (EPIC); community-based programming that include the Youth Advisory Council (YAC), Youth Forward, Be You Crew, and ABY (Association of BIPOC Youth); EmpowerMT statewide work with youth, educators, and schools; the Montana GSA Network and the Montana Opportunity Youth Initiative; and community celebrations MLK Youth Art and Essay Contest and Diversity Day.
- The Director of Youth Programs is responsible for directing the staff and activities essential to the creation, development, and implementation of EmpowerMT’s Youth Leadership Pathway; oversee staff in the innovative development, implementation, and continuous improvement of statewide youth and schools programming; develop and facilitate professional development programs.
- Design and implementation of program evaluation. In addition, the Director of Youth Programs works with the youth team to ensure programs are meeting outcomes.
- Coordinates and facilitates community programs for youth and schools; includes revising and developing curriculum as needed, and assessing and evaluating program impact.
- Supports Development and Communications Staff with grant research and reporting.
- Collaborates with EmpowerMT’s research team and oversees documentation of EmpowerMT’s program research, evaluation data, and additional reporting needs in accordance with EmpowerMT’s mission statement, standards, and research vision.
Supervision and Mentorship:
- Acts as a positive role model through teamwork, inclusion, flexibility, and excellent communication.
- Supervises youth programs staff, Montana Campus Compact Members, and BSW practicum students working within youth programs, and mentors Youth Advisory Council and Youth Facilitators.
- As a mandatory reporter maintains up-to-date incident reporting forms for the Executive Director and other authorities as needed.
- Assists with recruiting, coordinating, and maintaining positive working relationships with volunteer trainers, especially youth and educators.
- Actively strengthens facilitation skills to lead workshops as an EmpowerMT Senior trainer by developing knowledge and expertise in EmpowerMT models and applications.
- Serves as an ambassador, spokesperson, and high-profile organizational leader before a range of stakeholder audiences and in the media.
- Represents EmpowerMT on local, state, and national coalitions, committees, and advisory boards including Project Tomorrow, Healthy Missoula Youth, National GSA Network, Opportunity Youth Forum, IVALUE.
- Cultivates effective and positive working relationships with other organizations, school staff, families, youth, and community members as appropriate.
- Contributes youth and schools related content to the E-News, website, and social media.
- Collaborates with staff to assist with volunteer development, event planning (donor events, MLK Celebration, Diversity Day, etc.), and special projects as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS-
Demonstrated experience may include lived experience, educational experience, work experience, volunteer experience, and non-traditional experience. The successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, human services, communications, education and/ or related field, or equivalent education/experience.
- Minimum two years experience in positive youth development, facilitation, program design and implementation, and project management.
- A deep commitment to supporting young people advancing social, racial, economic, and gender justice.
- Demonstrated deep commitment to racial equity and justice and familiarity with racial equity and justice principles.
- Significant experience facilitating equity-centered conversations and designing inclusive learning environments for individuals and large and small groups.
- Deep working knowledge of systemic inequity and successful social change practices.
- A deep commitment to providing professional and timely client service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Passion for investing in the growth of colleagues; able to motivate and rally support in service of organizational mission and goals.
- A strong work ethic, with a results-oriented philosophy and personal qualities of trustworthiness, openness, accessibility, kindness, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Extremely strong verbal and non-verbal skills, both with large groups and interpersonally.
- Solid and efficient workload management skills to include planning, organizing, prioritizing, and following through on a variety of tasks.
- Completed an EmpowerMT Advanced Leadership Institute, or willingness to be trained.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain professional composure while working under stress and pressure.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and commit to our established policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively work and collaborate within team-centric environments and work independently.
- Attend EmpowerMT Advancing Leadership Institute.
- Ability to perform general office duties and operate office machines.
- Ability to use a computer to perform word processing, create spreadsheets, manage and navigate online tasks (ie: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.).
- Availability to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Willingness to travel in and out of state.
- Must pass a background check designed to protect the interests of youth served by EmpowerMT.
- Current Montana driver’s license, an acceptable driving record and proof of auto insurance in compliance with Montana State law or reliable alternative transportation options.
LEVEL OF INDEPENDENT DISCRETION, CONSEQUENCE OF ACTIONS: This person, within the parameters of EmpowerMT policies and procedures, exercises a high level of independence in decision making. Significant errors in judgment may endanger the health and safety of the clients and/or staff and may cause serious financial and/or legal repercussions for EmpowerMT.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: May be required to alter scheduled hours or days off as necessary. Some out-of-town travel required. Exposure to difficult situations and emotionally taxing circumstances may be encountered.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Please put “Director of Youth Programs” in the subject line. Open until filled. Interviews will happen on a rolling basis with a target start date of the end of July.
It is the mission of EmpowerMT to address and correct systemic inequities. We recognize that people drive our mission, and honor and value the diversity of identities and experiences they bring which shapes us. EmpowerMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), people who have been socialized and/or identify as a woman, gender diverse, nonbinary, LGBTQIA2S+, people with disabilities, and people with intersecting identities are encouraged to apply.
email Facebook Linkedin
email Facebook Linkedin
“When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So...
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the...
” How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”- Anne Frank “Empowerer” Spotlight: Abby Donald! This...
“I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap.” -Ani DiFranco “Empowerer” Spotlight: Carla Mettling! ...
“As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” –Mary Anne Radmacher “Empowerer” Spotlight! This month our spotlight shines...
“It means a great deal to those who are oppressed to know that they are not alone. Never let anyone tell you that what...
“As we strive to teach others we must have the humility to acknowledge that we too still have much to learn.” -Aung San Suu...
“The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” -Sydney J. Harris As we gear up for the changing of seasons, EmpowerMT...